This blog is an attempt to extend creativity beyond the classroom, encouraging writing by providing challenging stimuli. The title of the blog is taken from a poem by Seamus Heaney, 'Personal Helicon', in which the poet explores some of his motivation for writing. I hope that by 'setting the darkness echoing' the followers of this blog will themselves shine.

Friday 4 May 2012

Fiction in a Flash: Bound

'Flash fiction' is an increasingly popular genre, with many well-known lifestyle magazines publishing examples and a great number of competions running at any one time. It is, literally, fiction 'in a flash': a whole story in a very short space of time, say 100 words or less. You may have encountered it as 'mini sagas', though through Forward Press these are limited to just 50 words.

But a story must have a beginning, a middle and an end, and this is very difficult to do in such a short space of time! Now, I've promised not to ask you to attempt anything I'm not prepared to have a go at myself, so here's an example of mine, entitled Bound:

Gradually, she came to.

Her mouth was dry and she ran her tongue over cracked lips. The darkness was disorientating, and there was a strange numbness in her legs. Pinned back into the chair, bound and blind-folded, the fear pulsed quickly through her body. She was aware of movement around her, though helpless in her own immobility.

Suddenly, her captor spoke. “We will shortly be coming into land. Please ensure that your seatbelts are fastened…” intoned the tinny voice. She removed the air-line eye mask and smiled groggily at a fellow passenger. “Sorry, was I snoring?” she asked.

You can see that the beginning attempts to create tension: Where is she? What has happened? Has the protagonist been captured? Starting with 'Gradually, she came to' suggests that she may have been unconscious.

I am playing with the reader's expectations in the middle part of the story. The description of her dry mouth and aching limbs, reference to a blind-fold and being 'bound' reinforce the idea of capture or kidnap.

I am trying to surprise the reader at the end. She hasn't been kidnapped at all and is merely asleep on an ordinary flight. Were you fooled?

The title is also a play on words. She is bound by her seatbelt but also 'outbound' on the flight.

Now your turn. Have a go at writing your own flash fiction story. Make sure that the whole narrative takes place in 100 words or less (mine is 98!) Remember to comment to let me know that you've had a go.

Good luck!

6 comments:

  1. Hello,

    On the place on this site where it shows the members, why is mine shown as kanek001 when there are other that have there names on instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rorry Mirowling, I have to say that I am not entirely sure. It's happened to me when following ZOey Solace, too. We'll have a look at it next time. I think it is to do with the way that we followed, because it hasn't happened to me on the others....very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love flash stories because they are easy reads but when I am going I don't want to stop at 100 words. I once wrote one in 50 and it was so hard to get a story across. I have written mine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Deadra. I find them very challenging too. I look forward to reading yours!

      Delete
  4. Writing Flash Fiction is so difficult! The limit of 100 words is so hard! My original darft was 118 and it was really difficult to try to cut it. I have written mine now

    ReplyDelete