This blog is an attempt to extend creativity beyond the classroom, encouraging writing by providing challenging stimuli. The title of the blog is taken from a poem by Seamus Heaney, 'Personal Helicon', in which the poet explores some of his motivation for writing. I hope that by 'setting the darkness echoing' the followers of this blog will themselves shine.

Friday 1 June 2012

Jubilant Ekphrasis

Ekphrasis: Now, that is a big word for a Friday afternoon. 

It comes to us from Ancient Greece, and relates to the idea of writing inspired by or about art or visual images. The ekphrastic tradition is more complex than that, but we come across it in its modern form all over the place in English Literature.  Some of my favourites include the poems I Would Like to be a Dot in a Painting by Miro by Monica Alzi and Musee des Beaux Arts by WH Auden.  But more on those at a later date!

At this point I have to confess that I'm not really claiming that my bad photo of the steps outside the British Library that inspired the previous blog post count as art, far from it:
But what I do want to do is build on last week's stimulus of 'Near and Far' by using images to inspire our writing, bending the rules of ekphrasis a little.

This weekend marks the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations and our school is ablaze in a conflagration of red, white and blue.  I would like you to take a photograph of something that captures the essence of this idea, from near or from afar.  Post it on your blog, then use someone else's photograph to write your own piece.  You can use any form you wish. 

Think carefully about the detail as we were doing last week, but also think about the significance (or otherwise) of this momentus occasion: a historical event celebrated only once before - in the reign of Queen Victoria.  Will you write from the point of view of the object - perhaps something that has seen great change over the past sixty years? Or consider what the next sixty might bring?  Perhaps you will focus on this precise moment in history.  Whatever you choose, you need to link your iconic image and your descriptive writing with a deeper thought.  Please comment below when you have posted your photograph, and I'll look forward to choosing one to inspire my own piece of writing!

1 comment:

  1. I have posted my three and I found it so hard to choose which ones to post - it would have been much easier if we could have posted them all, although I'm not sure the blog would have handled it!

    ReplyDelete